Sunday, May 24, 2009

Introducing Our Friend, Baby Grant

One of the most helpful things for me is to connect with other heart families. It is encouraging to view blogs of HLHS toddlers or older children, but right now I am most interested in hearing the stories of young heart infants. I am particularly following the blog of Grant who was born in March. As I read his mother’s entries while she was pregnant I identify with many of the same feelings of uncertainty, heartache and hope. It has been helpful for me to follow along with the birth of Grant to know what to expect for myself in the next few (short!) months.

Grant’s blog has many useful resources posted at the side, along with links to other heart family blogs. A lot of his entries are full of medical jargon and details of his day to day health, so it might be hard to jump in mid-way. However, here are some highlights you might find useful include: the pregnancy months found in the archives, November-March; when he was born, March 20; his first heart surgery and follow-up on March 24.

Grant’s heart surgery went well, but after birth it was learned that he has additional complications, like some of his internal organs are missing or not in the typical location. This has required other surgeries, some of which have caused some other complications. I have been told to expect a 4-6 week recovery time for the baby, but Grant was in Primary Children’s for two months. I have rejoiced along with the other blog readers when he was released home this past week. As I follow the blog, it has been very helpful to understand that babies with heart defects have many up and down days, and hopefully this will prepare me to deal with the same with our baby. It enjoy seeing pictures of Grant and other heart babies on the blogs, but be aware that some, particularly post- surgery, can be difficult to view. If you’re a new reader, it might be a lot to read through every entry, but I especially recommend reading Mother’s Day on Grant’s blog.

Throughout the blog I admire the faith and optimism of Grant’s parents, Alli and Kyle. Despite many frustrations and even near death experiences for Grant, they are also able to share humor and hope. (As a side note, Alli and I share a sister-in-law, so we are practically related! I am sure that Grant and our baby will be kindred spirits.)

No comments: