It’s Merideth’s birthday. It is unbelievable to see that another year has passed and even so quickly. Isn't it interesting how time can distance us from our concerns. Chasing around a 10 month old baby will do that too. So does thinking about someone else who is just beginning that road. Last year I had a lot of anticipation for Merideth’s first birthday with lots of thoughts I wanted to share about her birth and how the year had been. It has not been on my mind as much this year, probably in part because I expressed so much about it last year. And something else on my mind has been baby Cale. It is interesting how my memories of Merideth’s time with us is so intertwined. (see post below)
As for celebrating Merideth, the day has been fine. I am still in the process of trying to recognize what traditions are important to me to celebrate her birthday [if you have lost a child, please feel free to leave comments on what has been fun or meaningful to you]. We talk about Merideth any time during the year, but I think one reason I want to celebrate is for her brother and sister to remember her (you can see that Christian got a lot out of it this year).
Last year we let off a balloon for Merideth, but this time I opted for bubbles. I didn’t have any profound reason for that, but it was a calm and peaceful activity on a serene evening at the shady cemetery. Pretty soon, though, Natalie informed us it was time to get ice cream. We were all looking forward to that. Natalie chose “birthday cake” flavor. I'm sure she was more interested in it for the sprinkles than to make a connection that it was Merideth’s birthday.

2 comments:
I can't believe so much time has gone by. You are such a wonderful mom!!
Happy Birthday Merideth! We love setting off balloons for occasions like this. But I think it is important to do whatever feels right and best for you.
Post a Comment