Lisa shared some things she had learned from her experience, such as make each day count, show more compassion to others and be a better parent. She said, “Give your children what they need, not what they want.” She was speaking from the perspective of the parent taking care of her children and the importance of seeking guidance from the Lord in teaching them and meeting their needs. It was well said, but as she spoke, I had an additional impression that I am not sure she intended to convey: she and Carl (and all of us) are the child and a loving Parent does give us what we need—opportunities in mortality to grown in faith—and not what we want, to have an easy road. Carl also said something to the effect of, “I’d rather have trials in this life that bring me closer to God than to waste my probation and not learn anything.”
Another memorable thing about Cale’s funeral was the “bucket list” on the back of the program. I am amazed at how they were able to do so much during his full month with his family. I love how they made so many memories with their children and Cale. Sue has often said that with Sam, her personal desire was to have him be able to lay on a blanket outside and enjoy the sun, and that she also had a goal to have someone always holding Sam. I didn’t think to have those kinds of wishes with Merideth. Quite honestly, I was inside with her most of the time—not because I was worried about her health but because I was a mom with a newborn and didn’t feel like going anywhere and because I was busy with so many friends and family visiting that I didn’t have anywhere to go. I’m glad Cale was able to experience so many things. Some highlights from Cale’s Bucket List:
*Get lots of kisses
*Take a bath
*Go to the zoo
*Watch fireworks
*Go on a train ride
*Go see the temple
As I say, it was a very uplifting, edifying experience to attend the funeral. I hope his family is able to continue to feel peace and strength from prayers on their behalf.
1 comment:
Diana, this is a beautiful post. I think it's so wonderful that you can share your experience with other mothers who are going through something similar. I was just thinking yesterday that it's been just over two years since Merideth passed away. I wanted to say something when you came to my house... but I didn't know what exactly. My thoughts are with you and I love ya!
Post a Comment