A few thoughts on the true meaning of Christmas. We started December with a family discussion of the nativity and some of Jesus’ qualities. We sang “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus,” and I set a jar on the piano for us to fill with slips of paper when we found ourselves developing those qualities like patience, forgiveness, service and kindness. I haven’t been good at evaluating myself each day to see if I have something to add, but there have been days where Natalie has been particularly helpful to me or loving to her brother and we remember to write it down. It’s nothing profound, but it is something on her level, and that’s what was important to me.
I have a quote that I hang on the refrigerator every Christmas (and often longer) to remind me how I can give the gift of an improved self. It was quoted by Howard W. Hunter at the First Presidency Christmas Devotional in 1994 when he was the prophet:
“This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and then speak it again.”
2 comments:
I love that quote. It's so true... it's one thing to think about Jesus during Christmas, but to try to be like him.... that is the true meaning :) Thanks, Diana, I love your posts.
I loved the quote and that it comes out every Christmas like a decoration.
Post a Comment