Saturday, December 25, 2010

Musings on the Season: Joy

Natalie is beginning to recognize some sight words and amazes us when she is even able to sound out a few words occasionally. She has been very quick to point out one familiar word on Christmas cards and decorations: “Look, Mom, that card has Merideth’s name,” she will say when she sees something with joy printed on it. I didn’t really think about the connection when we named Merideth, but it is a gentle reminder of her at Christmas. It is an opportunity to explain to Natalie what joy means happiness and our children make us happy. As she gets older she will understand why we sing “Joy to the World, the Lord is Come.”

Our neighbor stopped by yesterday to give an explanation for a gift. She was almost apologetic, afraid of overstepping her bounds to give this gift. She explained that both she and her daughter have the middle name of Joy, so it is a tradition in their family to collect “joy” decorations for Christmas. She wanted to give us something for our Joy, too. I was touched at her thoughtfulness and love how there will always be reminders of Merideth at Christmastime.

On the subject of joy, I have to say that it is really exciting to give gifts that you know a person will enjoy. I think that is something especially that parents and Santa can appreciate to give something they know will be a treasured gift. Natalie is really into Thomas the Tank Engine right now. She gets a video every week from the library and watches it every day. She has been pouring over the toy catalogs for over a month and points out any time she sees something about Thomas. Fortunately for all involved, Santa did find a Thomas toy for her, and she is thrilled. But, it turns out that Mom and Dad even trumped Santa’s gift. We found a used plastic slide for an incredible deal. I do not exaggerate when I say that Natalie went down it over a hundred times today. Probably closer to 200 times. It is just a great feeling to see the joy on both the part of the giver and the receiver.

1 comment:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Diana, this is a beautiful post. What a wonderful tradition(?) it will be to think of Merideth Joy every Christmas. I love Natalie's face in the picture of her on the slide :) Beck absolutely LOVES Thomas stuff as well...