Let me start out by saying I really love the name we chose for Merideth. I liked it when we chose it, but it has grown on me even more. And I am really happy with how we decided to spell it. I’m not a person to give unusual spellings for names, but according to the name books, this spelling is common enough. But apparently it’s not the most common.
We got Merideth’s social security card in the mail yesterday. I’ve been waiting for it to take care of some other documentation. Wouldn’t you know, they spelled her name wrong. I was on the phone for half the morning dealing with recorded phone systems trying to straighten out what I needed to do. I was told that it depends on how it is spelled on the birth certificate. If it is spelled correctly on the birth certificate, then I “only” need to take it in to the local social security office with another form and get it fixed. However, there is not a local office in
Perhaps it doesn’t sound like a big deal, but I get stressed over bureaucratic issues like this, especially where one thing is contingent on another. I was quite frazzled by the time Aaron came home for lunch, so I asked him to go with me to get the birth certificate, if nothing else, to handle Natalie for me. Besides, we also needed to get the death certificate so Aaron could turn it in for some insurance stuff at work.
However, the name was not spelled correctly on the birth certificate. I was afraid that Aaron would try to convince me just to accept the wrong spelling to avoid all the hassle, but it was spelled correctly on the death certificate. So no matter what, one of them was wrong. I went ahead and started the process to correct the name on the birth certificate, but unless I wanted them to fax it overnight for an additional charge, I will have to wait about four weeks for the new one to come in before I can even take it to the social security office to fix on Merideth’s card. Even though I would like to have the whole matter taken care of right now to have one less thing on my mind, it was not worth the additional stress to rush the new certificate and stand in line all day tomorrow. All I can say is aaaaahhhh! I feel better now that I've been able to vent and perhaps you might find some humor in this whole rigmarole.
7 comments:
Diana,
Nothing ever goes according to plan. Trust me on this. Call me to vent all you want. If it helps, go to the toy store and buy Natalie a blow up punching bag. Then when you get mad, try and see if you can knock it over. Trust me, it helps.
Cindy
"rigmarol". i like that. what an overall pain. good luck.
I know how you feel. My youngest has his name misspelled too. Turns out the hospital didn't key it correctly, which turned into an incorrect birth cert, then an incorrect social security card. Yes it's a hassle and sorry you had to deal with it now.
Still thinking of you.
That is crazy! I hope you can get it all figured out the second time around! :)
I recently lived in your in-laws ward and I also had a baby born with a chd this February! I want to let you know that you have been in our thoughts and prayers! I hope that you feel your sweet Angel baby presence with you daily!~ Thank You for sharing your difficult experience with us, you truly have touched me! Crystal Morrell ccmorrell.blogspot.com
It really is unfortunate that because of another person's mistake, you get to stand in line for hours.
When I went to change my name when I got married, I guess a long time ago they keyed in my birthday as being a year earlier. Because of this I had to bring them my birth certificate so they could change my birthday and my name.
I didn't know social security came to Logan, so I drove to Ogden to take care of it. Funny because when I got to the counter and the woman noticed I was from Logan she mentioned that they do come to Logan, and the day I had driven to Ogden was the day that they were in Logan.
Anyway, if you do need some help with Natalie while you are having to take care of these things, you are more than welcome to call me. I'd be happy to take her if you ever need it.
I have to say I officially strongly dislike the Social Security office, they messed up my last name when I went to get it changed so instead of it being Teague on my social it says League and it's right on my marriage certificate so I know someones messing up names! I have been so busy with the baby that I haven't had time to go stand and wait for 3 hours in that long line to get it fixed. I'm sorry it happened to you, especially when you need it asap! good luck
Post a Comment