Sunday, August 23, 2009

A new focus

I feel like the purpose of this blog is beginning to shift. One of its initial purposes was to keep family and friends updated on Merideth’s condition during pregnancy and after she was born. Obviously, my updates have not been as frequent since then, but I plan to still communicate how we are doing. I especially appreciate the comments—they really give me a boost, and I hope they keep coming.

On the other hand, I feel like this blog can reach out to others who have children diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. I have found great comfort being able to share with other families who have a specific connection to our situation. This week I personally met Sue, whose baby Sam is due next month. We met at the park so our kids could play, and four + hours later we said goodbye, even though there was still more to talk about. Sharing a common challenge has bonded us instantly, and we were able to share fears, heartaches and aspects of faith, even things we have not expressed to anyone else. I think Sue was looking for help knowing what to expect in the next few weeks, but she helped me more by just giving me a chance to talk.

This week I also found another heart family who is family. Aaron’s grandfather is a great uncle to Heather, whom I have never met. She sent us a gift and note and said that her baby was born last year with hypoplastic right heart syndrome. I don’t know specifics about this condition, but I can speculate that it means the right ventricle is underdeveloped and has some of the same problems as Merideth, though perhaps not as severe, since there are only 2 surgeries (Glenn and Fontan) associated with this condition. Although I have begun to feel distant from the heart community in some respects because of the different path we have taken with Merideth, as I read their blog it was comforting to see their little Alyson doing well in her development. I was also uplifted by the positive attitude of their family. I was wistful, however, to see the sweet pictures of her two girls together because it is sad to think of Natalie missing out on the fun of having her little sister to grow up with.

The third thing this week that has been particularly helpful to me is reading a book a friend gave me, Joy Cometh in the Morning (Fran C. Hafen). The author shares her experience with the death of her infant son and her journey of healing. I don’t feel like my grief has been as intense as what she shares, but I am grateful for her expressing her feelings so openly. I have enjoyed reading it and invite you to share other resources with our readers that you have found helpful.

These various encounters during the week have reminded me that my blog is entering another dimension: to connect with those who are parents of children who have died. And so, I will try to be a little more open with sharing our daily life and coping with death for the sake of those families and for myself as a means of expressing and dealing with grief. I have appreciated that many of the resources I have read remind that the grieving process is a process and should not be rushed, that family and friends should not to be impatient and think that those affected should be “over it” in a certain time frame. Since this blog is getting so lengthy I will share more of my feelings another time, but I personally feel like we are doing fine right now with normal (as in typical) reactions. There are ups and downs, mostly on my part, but nothing that is extreme.

As I was reflecting last night about what to write in my blog, words from the hymn “Lord, I Would Follow Thee” came into my mind:

Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own.

Who am I to judge another When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden Sorrow that the eye can’t see.

I would be my brother’s keeper; I would learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.

Savior, may I love my brother As I know thou lovest me.
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, For they servant I would be.

Lord, I would follow thee

Even though dealing with death—whether death of a child or another loved one—is a challenge, I have often reflected that we are not the only ones who are experiencing heartache. I can think of many others I know who have their own sorrows, even ones that can’t be readily seen—losing a baby through miscarriage or not being able to have children, other physical challenges, struggles with testimony, or grief over the choices that loved ones make, are a few that come to my mind. But in sharing the burden of others as the song says, I think I can find comfort and find strength beyond my own. To summarize, then, I have been blessed this week to be a participant and recipient in “bear[ing] one another’s burdens,” “mourn[ing] with those that mourn” and “comfort[ing] those that stand in need of comfort,” and I hope that this blog can bless an additional audience of families who share the status in which we now find ourselves and that in the process I can “stand as [a witness] of God at all times and in all things, and in all places”(Mosiah 8-9).

9 comments:

Sue said...

That is a beautiful post. I agree that you can help many others through your experiences, and in that way, you honor Merideth and her life.
I have appreciated your friendship and I know there will be many more lives you can bless and uplift. Thanks for sharing this new insight. I hope you continue to post about your feelings as they come.

D said...

Thanks for opening up and sharing that- it was beautiful. You are right- we all have heart aches and trials to endure. I know the loss of a child is one of the heavier ones to bear though. I'm glad we can all help each other through whatever path we may have to walk through.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you are sharing your experience with others. I have admired your strength trough all of this and I know your example will be a great inspiration to others.

Heather said...

It is such a blessing Diana that you are taking the time to share your experiences with others. I know it has helped and will continue to help others. Thank you for being so willing to share your thoughts. I continue to enjoy reading your posts. You are such a strong woman...wife, and mother! I hope that you continue to find the strength you need for each new day. You will see her again, and she will be whole! :)

Heather Zollinger

Shillene Hancock said...

Diana!
I felt such a Great Feeling as I read you post! This is strengthening to me. Christ went about doing good, I know we should do the same! I really enjoy feeling the spirit as I read your posts, and gaining strength from You and your Family ~ Thanks with all our Happy Hearts!!
Shillene Hancock

Wendi said...

We were in Utah a few weeks ago and was checking on some of our friends via Jen Morrison and Angie Stott. I asked if you guys had more children and they told me about Merideth. Now, I think about you guys all the time and still have you in our prayers. Baby Merideth looked so precious and perfect. Natalie looks so fun. I still remember when she learned the word "bubble." I just fell in love with Natalie at Girl's camp and now Merideth as I read about her.
Wendi Jorgensen

Christine said...

This post really is beautiful, and I love that you have touched on what life is all about through the song, "Lord, I Would Follow Thee."

Diana, you are such a strength to me, and I too wish I was better at knowing what to say to you. I'm so glad that you are finding others to help through your life experiences though.

Thank you for being so uplifting and such a great example! I really enjoy reading what you have to say.

happyohana3 said...

Hey D.

The other night Aaron and I got in touch with some of our friends we haven't talked to in a long time. That night in prayers, Aaron prayed for them to be able to handle their trials. After the prayer I asked him what they were going through because they hadn't mentioned anything to me. He said they didn't mention anything to him either, but everyone has trials.

This post made me remember that experience... maybe because most trials that people face really can't be seen. Or have seemingly passed (to the public's view) and still hold on with the person (if that makes sence).

Anyways, I loved the post. And love your idea of putting a little quote in the box. I can't wait to see the finished product :)

ps we're not really back online yet, but just was able to write real quick. So, thank you for your emails and i'll be getting in touch soon.

jane said...

Diana,
I loved this post. I have followed your post due to the fact that I love you and pray for continued strength for your family. I love your testimony and the way you have helped many, including myself. I wish I had done something like this when AJ died,it would have been such a help. You wrote of the quiet times, when people go on with their lives, and the quiet times come. I believe it is there that the real growth occurs. That is when the deep searching, prayers, and communication with Heavenly Father comes into play. I have such a profound testimony of our being Heavenly Father's children first and foremost, and that He loves us. It was tough to realize that what was His Will for AJ was not necessarily my will, but I accept and understand that there are greater blessings when we follow what He wants. We received such beautiful blessings,much love,and peaceful confirmation that all is well with AJ. My love and respect for my husband still continues to grow when I realize what he went thru that day while I was still at working, *zoning out, because I knew that something was wrong, but did not know what. Thank you for writing, and as you keep writing, I will keep growing and learning from you. Thank you for your sacrifice of time and privacy and sharing.
Jane