Monday, August 31, 2009

A Fun Project

My former roommate, Melanie, lives in Missouri, so she was sad she could not attend Merideth’s funeral, but she thoughtfully sent me this:









We are excited for this beautiful shadow box to display some memories of Merideth. I have been working on a little quilt this week as a backdrop. Although I feel fairly proficient in sewing, quilting is a new skill for me. I have pieced a few things, but nothing as small as this little quilt. I had a lot of fun looking at cute fabrics at the store and when I saw the words on this one, I knew I had to include it:



However, my mind was so focused on finding just the right fabrics and trying to think of the designs for the blocks (and keeping Natalie occupied all that time—remember, I am indecisive and design-challenged) that I wasn’t thinking very clearly. When it came time to select the fabric measurements, I ordered an excessive amount, including a whole yard of this print for a quilt that is only about 8x10 inches! At the moment my only thought was that I wanted to be sure I had enough, since I was not exactly sure how I was going to design the quilt. As I’ve been working on it (more pictures to come if/when it gets done) I have run into a few glitches in my calculations and cutting, so it is good I have plenty to work with. It has been fun getting into a sewing project again and thinking about other things to include in the shadow box. Other ideas?


8 comments:

Shillene Hancock said...

That is Beautiful Diana!!!

Katy said...

That was so sweet of her! What a beautiful idea to help you display some keepsakes from Merideth! I'm not much help in suggestions, but excited to see how it will turn out. :)

Snorkelgirl said...

Those are great shadow boxes and I love the fabric. I can't wait to see the finished product. You're such a great sewer I know your quilting is going to be beautiful.

Wendi said...

I think it is so cute to have blessing dresses in shadow boxes, but I don't know what else to put in there.
Wendi Jorgensen
P.S. I am the Alexandria, VA on the Live feed thing.

D said...

What about the bracelets? That would be beautiful.

Heather said...

I love shadow boxes!! It will be a great way to help you remember her, how sweet of her to send them to you! I love the fabric..so precious. Good luck with the project....can't wait to see the finished results!

Heather K. said...

I love that shadow box! I have never seen one like that before. And that fabric...where did you find that? That is very fitting for your darling little one. If I ever got crafty into sewing that would be fun to make a blanket for Alyson with that.

Hmmm....as for ideas in the box. I do like the bracelet idea unless that is something you want to wear often. Not sure how deep the box is but if you like those Willow Tree figurines they have the one with the mom and dad holding a baby or I just Googled one of those figurines holding a heart. Below are a couple of IP addresses and you can look at what else they have on that site. Was something made by someone that was meant just for her that you could put in there? Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Heather Kelley

(http://www.demdaco.com/detail.aspx?ID=10222)

http://www.demdaco.com/detail.aspx?ID=10220

Jane said...

Lisa B in our ward made each of our children a special blanket out of the favorite clothes that AJ wore to help them in the continuous healing. She was/is an angel doing many special things for people. I love that picture that you have on this site of your three hands and bracelets. I would put those in there. I would suggest a picture of all of you together. She is a precious daughter. You and Arron sure make pretty babies. Natalie is beautiful, too. Follow your heart- You will be guided on what to put in there.
Jane