Friday, July 24, 2009

Birthdays


With Merideth passing away Thursday morning, I thought we might bump Natalie’s birthday celebration to Friday just so we could give her our full attention. But, she had seen us making the cake on Wednesday and knew what that was all about, and it didn’t seem likely she would forget that we had said “tomorrow.” Besides, we could not keep her fingers out of the cake for that long! In the evening we opened gifts and had some cake for a joint birthday party. I think it is the first time my dad has ever had a princess birthday cake!
When our hospice nurse stopped by yesterday, she mentioned that it is also a birthday for Merideth who started a new life in heaven.

6 comments:

Shillene Hancock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELIZABETH said...

Happy birthday Dad, Natalie and Merideth

D said...

What a great Grandpa- next year he deserves a cake in the shape of a hammer or something! I love the perspective of the hospice nurse. That is a beautiful way to look at it. Happy birhtday Natalie!

Six-Pack Momma said...

Happy birthday, Natalie! That is a nice way to look at it. What a bond there will be between them.

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Natalie (and grandpa and Merideth!!)!! It will be a day that all remember! That is such a beautiful way to look at it! Our love!!!

The Zollingers'

Nurse Heidi said...

I hope you have a peaceful and wonderful celebration of her life today. She's truly a beautiful baby.

I thought I'd just mention a few things that helped our kids cope with our angel baby's death. There's a book at Deseret Book called "What Happens When People Die" that's a simply written board book. We read that many times in the months after Elizabeth was born to help them understand what happens to the spirit and the body. I also made them small blankets out of the same fabric as the one she was buried in, and got them stuffed animals that matched what she was buried with. Those are treasured posessions for my big kids.

Take care of yourselves - it looks like you have a lot of wonderful people to support you. Lean on them when you are not feeling strong.