We had a pretty good night followed by increasing contractions this morning. Once I got the epidural at noon life was pretty good. In fact, when they checked on me a few hours later, I was completely dilated. Everyone was ready for the delivery except me--the epidural was working so well that I was unable to tell which muscles to use to push. Once we got pushing it was only about 10 minutes and little Merideth was here.
The doctors and nurses rubbed her down to stimulate her and get her crying--such a tiny cry--and then passed her over to me to cuddle for a while. Aaron also got his fair share of holding before we passed her around to my parents and sister.
The main order of business was for the doctor to examine her heart through an echocardiogram. We'll talk more to the head cardiologist tomorrow, but we were told that the diagnoses we had already heard were confirmed. With the echo they really studied the aortic arch, which indeed is narrow and will not support blood flow once the patent ductus (the natural opening that closes off in a few days of birth) closes. We will have a better idea tomorrow what this means in terms of time with Merideth and the possibility of bringing her home.
Natalie was excited to see Baby Sister and hopefully we got some cute pictures of her holding the baby. Unfortunately, we forgot to bring our camera charger, so it might be some time before we get pictures posted--very sorry!
After some more one-on-one time with Merideth and Mom (who is recovering well) and an attempt to nurse, we passed her off to the nursery to watch her while we get a few hours of sleep. Sorry to be slow in posting. We'll try to post more tomorrow as we learn more. Thank you for your continued prayers.
Footsteps for fertility
12 years ago
9 comments:
I am so happy that she is here! I looked last night, but was unsure how to post...you know me and computers. I am so glad that you are doing well Diana, and that everyone has been able to have time with your beautiful new little sweetheart. My continued prayers are with you all.
All my love,
Sherilyn
Diana, Aaron & Natalie
Congrats - I am so glad that she is finally here. My prayers and thoughts are with you and know that I love you.
Colleen
Oh, and tell your mother Happy Birthday from me!
Sherilyn
Sennika is excited! :) We'll look forward to more news & pictures when you are able.
Yay! So happy for you guys! You MUST know that I really have wanted to call you but will give you guys some time. Thanks for posting! I can't wait to see her beautiful little face!
Thoughts, prayers, and hugs, (and sweedish fish),
mel.
Congratulations!! I am so glad you got some time with her and they didn't rush her right off.
We got the call at the Salad Social, so pretty much everyone knows she is here . . hope that's ok, but it is ALOT of prayers headed your way.
Thinking of you . . . Darin&Alicia
Congratulations Diana! Know that my prayers are also with you. I am so excited that you got to spend some great time with her right away.
Love
Jessica
Carol called me this morning to let me know Merideth has made her debut! Congratulations. I have been thinking of you often and wish you all the best. I'll be sure to keep checking your blog for updates.
jennie
Congratulations! I am so jealous you got to cuddle and hold her right away. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Cindy
Post a Comment