Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Day of Comfort, A Celebration of Life


The funeral services and surrounding activities were beautiful. Many people commented on our strength and serenity, and I know that it is due to the many prayers offered to give us comfort and the ability to get through the things we needed to. I especially appreciated the musical numbers. I wanted the music to be child-centered because of the nature of this funeral and because it would be something meaningful to Natalie. Merideth’s cousins sang “Teach Me To Walk In The Light” and their parents joined in on the second verse. I also had my brothers and their wives sing a quartet of “Children of Our Heavenly Father,” which is a song I had sung in choir but the situation gave the words special meaning. It was absolutely beautiful. Their voices blended so well and Spencer’s solo on the second verse was just amazing. I can’t really express what I want to say about it, but that song is one of the memories I will return to when I think about this day.

When we were discussing what we wanted for the funeral, Aaron said he really thought the parents should speak. I thought it was a crazy idea but he was certainly welcome to do it if he wanted. The idea grew on me, however,and I knew that he was right that we were the ones who knew Merideth best and should share our experience. I was willing to give it a try, even though I was not sure I would be able to get through it. I talked about the different roles her family played in her life: a father watches out for his child and seeks what is best for her, a sister is an example and friend and a mother provides comfort. Aaron spoke about our journey before Merideth was born and how and why we made the decisions we did. In the end I’m grateful we were able to do it. As I said, we received great comfort and strength throughout the day.

The recording of "Families Can Be Together Forever"
used by permission and is from the CD
"The Power and the Glory" by Camarata
www.celestial-visions.com

13 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

Thank you for sharing that.

Sue said...

It was a really nice funeral. I hadn't ever heard the "Children of our Heavenly Father" song and I couldn't contain my tears. They sang beautifully. I loved hearing you both speak and I agree that as you both knew her best it was appropriate. We are just a few months behind you and I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us.
May you continue to have peace and strength.

Zingalings-Custom Singing Telegrams said...

Thank you for letting us share with you in this day for you and your family. While there were many tears shed, we're comforted in your strength and knowledge of the Atonement. It was nice to spend a few minutes with you today before heading back home.

We look forward to seeing you all soon.

Love, Spencer

wishesUT said...

Your picture montage is just beautiful and I especially loved the picture of the baby with Jesus at the end and the precious scripture. I'm sorry that I missed the funeral. You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Much love,
Cynthia

D said...

Katy did a wonderful job on the video. I love the song and the last picture of Christ. I'm sure the songs were beautiful and I'm sad we didn't get to hear them. You were brave to talk and I admire you both for doing it. Miss you!

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

I am so sorry for this big lost. You baby sure will be happy to know that she had a wonderfull mom and dad and also a big sister on earth. Until you guys meet again, I am sure she will be waiting for you guys. What a wonderful video and the music too.

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Your family is amazing. We wish you all the best and pray for your strength and comfort each day. Families ARE Forever. Thank you for sharing :o) Love, The Susman's

Jessica said...

I don't know how you can get through that slide show without crying. She is absolutely beautiful.

Shillene Hancock said...

Aaron & Diana~
What a Very Special Picture Presentation of Meredith, and her Sweet Life here on earth. I really Loved having the great feelings in my heart, and feeling a bit of what she must have been like. She is Soo Beautiful and Tender. Thanks for sharing your feelings, it is helpful all around.

We Love You Blaine and Shillene Hancock

Julie said...

The day was amazingly comforting and spiritually uplifting. Your talks were so touching and just what I needed to hear. I loved your comment that not many people can say that they spent their entire life surrounded by parents who loved them unconditionally. Merideth was and it has helped me to try to love my children unconditionally even more. So glad I got to be with you and your family.
Love always,
Julie

Cara said...

I'm suppose to teach this song to the primary children next month....I don't think I will ever be able to sing it or hear this song again without seeing Merideth in my mind. Thank you for sharing her with us as well...we love you!

Cara Hancock

Darcy Babbel Brown said...

Thank you for sharing this very personal experience. You have inspired me and I've felt the Spirit so strongly reading your words. My prayers and thoughts are with you all!

Cynthia Teague said...

Thank you for sharing that very special day with me and others. I wanted to let you know that I could feel the love and comfort that Heavenly Father has blessed your family with and I am thankful to have been able to share that feeling along with so many others. I'm sure Heavenly Father is cradling Merideth just like in that last picture, that video is very cute.