Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Merideth's first FULL day


As we have chosen not to pursue surgery for Merideth, we are blessed not to have her whisked away to the NICU. By not having her hooked up to monitors and oxygen tubes, we have enjoyed having her close by to hold and pass around. This really has been a blessing because we don't know how long we will have with her. It can take anywhere from a couple of days to even a couple of weeks for the patent ductus opening to close. Meanwhile, we are planning for discharge tomorrow and look forward to having some time with her at home. Aaron and I have felt assured in this decision, although it is still difficult to actually now be in this phase of the whole experience. We have also been blessed to have family close by for support. We will bless Merideth this evening when many members of both our family can be here.





Merideth is sweet baby with a quiet and patient personality. She mostly just has quiet squeaks, but she will cry if she is really upset, like if I wait too long to feed her. She has been great at nursing, which is quite a change from Natalie. Besides lots of family visits and doctors and nurses checking in, our morning was busy with a photographer from a company called "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep," which takes family pictures of seriously ill babies for free. We look forward to seeing how they turned out.

It's hard to believe she is just barely one day old. We love her to pieces already and do feel at peace with our decision.


PS--EVERYONE keeps spelling her name differently and I am just in a dither about whether I should change it or not! I've looked at it both ways so much now that I just can't tell which way looks better. This is why I prefer names with one spelling. Maybe I should take a poll. :)

17 comments:

Christine said...

Diana, she is BEAUTIFUL!! I wish you all the best, and am happy you get to enjoy her. My prayers are with you.

Carla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carla said...

What a beautiful baby she is! Takes my breath away to look at the photos. Thank you for sending these. Our love is with you all.

(I wrote this, then deleted it when I saw that it says "Mama" for my name. I can't figure out how to change it, so just FYI, I'm "Aunt Carla".)

D said...

Oh Diana- she is soooo cute! I love the picture of you holding her. I can't wait to see the professional photos. I'm so glad you are spending precious time with her. Don't worry about the name. People might spell in differently just because they don't know how to. You should spell it the way you like to spell it.

Gram D said...

Oh, you 2 girls are just too beautiful together. You both are just glowing. I can't wait to see her and hope Carla and I can drive down on Sat. Your other picture of you all by the rose bush is very precious too. Love, eternally, Gram D

Lawanna said...

What a precious little girl. Our hearts and prayers are with you. Enjoy your time together and don't worry about how many of us misspell her name. -- from 2 other Joy's

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful, my friend. And a miracle. I'm glad that you get to bring her home soon. What a good time for all of you to be together in your home.

As for the spelling of her name...that is one of the joys of having a name with more than one spelling...you get to be unique. Keep it how you have had it...because it is the name that you and Aaron give to her...not anyone else. And that includes the spelling of it.

Love you,

Sherilyn

Nurse Heidi said...

What a very sweet little girl. One of your neighbors made me aware of your blog. I too am a mommy of an angel, Elizabeth Jane. It is a privilege to be chosen to carry these special babies. I am so glad that you were able to get pictures taken by NILMDTS - that is the best thing that we did! I have a website with lots of links with great information for pregnancy and infant loss - www.angelbabiesinfo.com. Please feel free to contact me through there.

Treasure every moment with your sweet baby. It's not often that you get to cradle a real angel.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful. I'm so glad you get to come home with her tomorrow. My heart is with you.
My bassinette is ready if you still want to use it. Have someone call me when you are on your way home and I can drop it off.
Andrea

keva said...

Diana, I had no idea you were going through all of this! You always seemed so positive! She is absolutely beautiful just like lil Natalie! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! All our love, the Fisher family

happyohana3 said...

D, she is just beautiful. A lot of people have said that so I tried to think of a different word, but beautiful is the best one to describe her. So precious! You are a strong person, D. I admire you for that.
Giver her a kiss for me. Lots of love,

mel and family

CottleCrew said...

Diana, she is so beautiful! I too am so happy you get to bring her home and not have to be in the hospital, what a blessing!

Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Diana, she is so beautiful! What an angel! I'm so happy you get to spend this time with her and bring her home! Praying for you and your family!

Paula

Zingalings-Custom Singing Telegrams said...

What an honor it was to meet her last night and to spend a few moments with you and Aaron. We are so blessed to have her now as part of our extended family. We love you and wish you a speedy recovery from delivery and many precious moments with your beautiful Merideth.

Spencer

Mark said...

Wonderful to be with you last night and this morning for a minute. We felt the Spirit and love for life as we were with you. Thanks for inviting us to be together with you for the blessing. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you as you start your journey at home.

Many Hugs and Kisses.

Rexburg Willis'

Anonymous said...

Diana and Aaron, and little ones,
Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. Both of your girls are precious gifts and treasures. Please know that if we can do anything for you, just ask and we are here to do it. You are in our prayers, and we know that the Lord will bless you with the strength in the times to come. Just love her and love her and love her. We love you all.
The Hyers

Christine said...

Christine Hamilton~ Diana, what a beautiful baby, and I pray for miracles. Sharla called me after Meredith was born with all the details. May God be with you and baby Meredith Joy. He knew the perfect parents to send this precious spirit daughter to on earth. All my love and prayers are with you!